Monday, June 30, 2008

Self Worth . . . and . . : "The Backburner"

Often times, it takes a minute to realize your importance in others' lives. the oh so familiar phrase, "Never make someone your priority while you remain to be their option" comes to mind. Now granted, we know that outside of friend/relationships, everyone has a life. They have everyday goals they must accomplish ans tasks to tend to. But at what point does it hit you that you aren't as important to someone as you THOUGHT you were?

Case in point, this weekend there were a lot of events going on and I attended a few, yet I still yearned for "particular" company. Evidently, my "yearning" stayed right where it was, because I was A-L-O-N-E! Yea, there were other things I could've done to ease the thought, but nothing could seem to fill that void at the moment. It just seemed like everyone AND everything else came before me! Call me SPOILED, call me being BRATTY, but DAMN, when do I come first?? Ok, ok . . .do I even make it to a close third???

So, after I felt like crap for 30 or so minutes, I used the time to re-evaluate MY priorities . . .make sure I continue to put ME first. I figured, why not do the things that will better me and in turn "flip the script", and have MY company being yearned for! So many times, we want something to work in our favor SO BAD, that we miss the obvious and sometimes painful signs of truth. What we feel may be beneficial to us in the present may not be the case in the long run.

So what IS "Self Worth"?

self-worth

–noun
"the sense of one's own value or worth as a person; self-esteem; self-respect."

I am worth FAR MORE than how I ALLOW other's treat me, yet my emotions tend to overpower that fact. Call it "wishful thinking", if you will, that I would want things to go my way. Thus, taking placement that is handed to me and forcing myself to feel grateful that AT LEAST in THEIR eyes, Im worthy enough of back burner placement.

Why do we allow ourselves to resort to this feeling of self worth? What does it take for you to "snap out of it", gather yourself up, and stand back on that pedestal in which you belong?


What is the "back-burner", you ask?

back burner

–noun
"a condition of low priority or temporary deferment"

Can you ultimately realize and determine when you have been placed on the "back burner"? Does the closeness of a relationship determine the inability to realize back burner placement?

1 comment:

f8thwalk said...

Baby...I've totally lived what you are preaching...I've been all around the stove top...back burner...front burner...you name it!

But what we both have learned from these life experiences is that we should make ourselves the priority and until we have ourselves together (academically, professionally, physically, emotionally) we should focus on us! Love on yourself!!! That's my $1 worth...now I step off my soapbox to get back to work...lol...

Love ya boo!